Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Traveling in Mexico

While being in MexicoI have discovered that traveling here seems to be easier than at home.

For the most part that is, for example the bus system here is actually very dependable.
Local Buses: They don't have an exact schedule but usually you don't have have wait more than 10 minutes.  The bus routes are slightly difficult to figure out when trying to learn the street names.

Travel Buses: I've mentioned these before, more specifically Primera Plus, which is the nicest bus in the station (there are about 6-8 different companies), and they give student discounts.  You can buy the tickets the day of, or buy in advance (which I recommend for holidays or long weekends).

Taxis: I've never taken so many taxis in my life, they're cheap but they do add up after a while.  Also maybe 1/4 of the drivers knew where my house was, (my street isn't very common), so I learned to say I need to go to the corner of *insert 2 intersecting street names close by* and that works almost all the time.

Planes: Are also surprisingly cheap--also when in advance.  I personally have not taken any planes while here, but I've had several friends say they bought round-trip tickets for places such as Cancun for $300.

I have a large list of places I want to go while in Mexico, but unfortunately not enough money or time.