Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Easy Week

After what seems like years, I finally got over being sick!

My classes so far, seem more laid back than back home with exception of some classes having a large work load.   All of my classes are in Spanish, but I am in all international student classes so the advantage is that they speak a little slower.  It's still 100% in Spanish, so at times things can still get confusing.

I have 2 extra curricular classes, the first is Photography the 2nd is Salsa.  I really like the Photography class, we're learning the basics of the technical parts and photo-taking.  This class is difficult because it is in 100% regular speed (which is fast) Spanish, but my professor is very kind and very patient.  He really tries to help each student.  Unfortunately for my Salsa class, it started a week late, then she cancelled one of our classes the first week we actually started.  I don't know if I will continue it.

This past weekend, I was invited to a party for my host mom's family.  I don't remember the name of the town we went to, but it was very small, maybe half the size of Mount Pleasant?  Her family was very kind and welcoming, and of course very generous with the food.  Once the first batch of food was gone, they either made more, or they would eat snacks.  They all were very patient with me and my poor Spanish speaking skills.

At one point, I played board games with the kids, which was quite fun.  They asked questions mostly about music, such as did I like Taylor Swift or One Direction, did I like rock or pop etc.  At one point a little girl between the ages of 6-8 was helping me with my Mexican Monopoly money because one thousand is "mil" and one million is "millon."  If they spoke too fast I would get them mixed up.

One of the little boys, maybe 8-10, seemed very confused by me.  So I explained to him that the reason I was talking strangely was because I learning Spanish.

I didn't take any pictures at the family party unfortunately.